From:
mwhaider <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jan 2015 20:44:35 -0500
Hi Angela,​
I really appreciate your email; and I know it isn't because you don't know
the answer.  You are a well seasoned RIM practitioner and your credentials
are equal to this irritating "young, runny-nosed lawyer".  Credentials do
not balance experience and this is where you excel.  You've already
received some excellent advice and I know you will put together a calm and
definitive answer.

But, for what it is worth, many years ago I was challenged by some rather
experienced managers on how to separate records from non-records - and we
were following the NARA definitions at the time.  I decided then (and I
still think it makes it much easier, to start with the premise that all
recorded information is a record.  The way to differentiate is to identify
the correct records series/retention code.  At that time NARA had a record
series described that basically covered "non-records" (and I'm not talking
about printed materials etc).  By using the record series description in
conjunction with the record definition it became rather obvious/simple to
separate the chaff from the wheat.  This also worked well when an IT
department was trying to identify the "record category" for a lot of
temporary files in old systems.

I think some of the problem is when we "decide" that some information is
needed for several years but we don't want to assign it record status.
Clear definitions and clear record series descriptions should go a long way
in resolving the issue.  Record status is not a decision that should be
made by anyone unless it is clearly stated in policy/procedure documents.
It either is a Record or it is not - there really is nothing in between.
Good luck and show your stuff!

Mary

Mary W. Haider, MBA, CRM
Records & Information Manager and Consultant
865-983-1371