From:
Tod Chernikoff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Jan 2015 22:35:45 -0500
Rienk Wrote:

"IFor me there is no difference between records and other information. Just some information is more important than other based on context, risk assesment, appraisal and retention schedules .

Therefore all information (documents and data) generated of used in a process, project  or other activity of a person or organisation is a record and has to be treated as such. "

___

I firmly believe all information assets (record or not) should managed throughout their lifecycle based on their value, and have been telling clients this for over 15 years now.

Some organizations for various reasons (legal, regulatory, industry practices) need to make the differentiation based on perhaps transactional or evidentiary value and call certain objects records.  Where that is a necessity, we then have to put labels on objects to help people in those organizations understand the value, hence some of these names/definitions come into play.  At that point the definitions, descriptions, and series, where applicable, need to be part of policy, procedures, and processes, and staff educated.

Tod Chernikoff, CRM, IGP, CIP

Silver Spring MD

www.twitter.com/tchernik

>>> These comments are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my family, friends, employer or any other organization I am associated with. <<<

PS - Will probably be having some in depth discussions of this with non-RIM staff at my current client during training classes I am teaching this coming week...Should be interesting.