From:
Eric Gater <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jan 2015 20:33:52 +0000
In my former job I was an architectural archivist at the University of Missouri in Columbia.  We stored mylar drawings wrapped around archival cardboard tubes for years at a time with no damage.  The large diameter (about 6 inches) of the tubes keeps you from rolling them too tight.  Once you have your drawings wrapped around the tube you cover them with some archival paper and tie them with string to keep them secure.  I used four pieces of string per tube.  Each tube would weigh about 20 pounds.  For just moving the drawings with no storage you could skip the archival grade on the materials.

If you wanted to move them flat I would advise putting paper between the drawings and make sure they don't have room to move about a lot because the corners of the drawings will take damage.

Eric Gater MA MLIS
University Records Manager | Texas A&M University Libraries
Purchasing and Stores Building | 330 Agronomy Road, Suite 160
College Station, TX 77843 | ph. 979-458-1470