From:
Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Feb 2015 16:18:10 -0500
> from one of the many articles I saw over the weekend apparently the reason for turning off the system is because it is still spewing water and turning it off reduces more water damage to the boxes.
> hopefully Hugh Smith will chime in (he's on digest)
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_sprinkler_system <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_sprinkler_system>
>
> On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 11:48 AM, Stakhov, Gene <[log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:
>   Also, I wasn't aware of the sprinkler head replacement protocol - but seems like that's what actually caused the second blaze to get out of control so quickly.  Why not just leave the sprinkler system ON while waiting for the replacements??

Since I have never visited that facility I don’t really have any thoughts that would be valid.

Typically Fire Departments when they arrive at a site with a fire of undetermined origin will take control of the site for arson investigation.  The Fire Department will also seal off the area and place a fire watch to make sure the fire does not reignite.

This was a difficult fire due to the wind and the extreme cold. The photos of the fire fighters tell you what a difficult situation this was.

The facility was divided into multiple facilities based on the photos shown on the news coverage.  So the fact that the Owner developed separate fire compartments limited the loss.  This is a perfect example of where compartmentation in the design planning works effectively.

The fact that the sprinkler system on its own extinguished the fire speaks to proper fire science design.  The human error might the failure of the Fire Chief to keep fire fighters on site.  The effects of those extreme gusting winds are not something a fire department can plan for.

A question for your risk manager might be “Do we keep spare fire sprinkler heads on hand so if a head fails or a small fire occurs that the heads can be immediately replace so the system can be put back in operation as quickly as possible?”

But once a fire occurs on a site, you are incorrect if you think the Owner is making the decisions once the fire starts.  The Fire Department will move everyone away from the site and treat it as a crime scene; or, simply in an effort to protect the lives of people who might run into the building in search of someone or something and place themselves at risk.  This then places the fire fighter at risk to rescue them.

I am struck with wonder that these FDNY and other fire fighters across the nation do the heroic things they do?  They were covered with ice.  And while everyone was telling us to stay out of the bitter cold they were being soaked with fire hose spray.

Hugh Smith
FIRELOCK Fireproof Modular Vaults
(610)  756-4440    Fax (610)  756-4134
WWW.FIRELOCK.COM