From:
Angela & Najib Fares <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Mar 2015 20:22:21 -0500
I have to admit that I am with Peter on this issue...professional response
or not (and yes...I did check outside to see if anything had frozen
over...lol).  Anyone who doesn't want to read op-ed pieces can skip them,
unsubscribe, or refute them tastefully.  I think it does everyone a service
to put the pieces out there and let people make up their own minds or do the
research to find out if the conclusions are based in fact using
authoritative sources.  There is hardly a day at work when my senior
management is considering "opinion" on what is or is not considered best
practice...whether it is records management, public relations, etc.  And, I
have seen records management retention decisions made based on the
expectations of certain groups who feel that they are entitle to obtain
information well beyond the required retention period.

I don't care what party a politician belongs to...if they are working
"outside" of a policy for their own convenience and are circumventing
controls meant to safeguard the right of the American public to obtain
information...I want to know what people think.  Culturally, this creates
issues for me as a records and information manager because, if it OK for
high profile politicians to get away with that behavior and make trite
excuses to avoid adverse consequences, the employees within my organization
may begin to feel similarly entitled.  People become "desensitized" to
having to follow rules because "it just doesn't work for them."  That is
when things start to become security issues for me.  Frankly, I am HAPPY to
see people get outraged about the allegation.  It tells me that some people
still have a sense of integrity about following the rules when you accept
the job.