From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Mar 2015 08:28:40 -0700
On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 7:35 AM, Bruce White <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I am not sure what industry or profession you are in but as a Records
> Manager I do everything you claim that an IGer would do.  I report to
> our General Counsel's office, work closely with our litigation group
> and serve as a liaison with our IT and ISO offices.  I speak legal,
> IT, privacy and compliance.  I have to think about about the Company's
> records and information from both a strategic and tactical
> perspective.
>
> Granted I still deal with paper which isn't going away any time soon
> no matter what the so-called "experts" say.  And I have an MBA which
> might count me out as a sociologist.  But I own a key part of the
> process and have skin in the game.
>
> I suspect some records managers may only have one piece of the puzzle.
> But I bet there are many like me who work for a corporation and
> perform all of the functions you identify.  Sorry but I am not ready
> to jump on the bandwagon, not yet anyway.
>
> On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 10:04 AM, Gordy Hoke <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> > I respectfully disagree with Hugh.
> >
> > IG is not the same as RIM-done-right.
> >
> > The best records program on the planet is crippled in a digital world if
> it cannot forge productive alliances with IT.  And in the litigious U.S.,
> most organizations will suffer if Records and IT are not well aligned with
> Legal.
> >
> > IG is what happens *between* groups.  "Governance" refers to
> relationships between groups.  If someone doesn't coordinate the efforts of
> Records, IT, Legal, and other groups, the enterprise suffers.  There are
> redundancies, ineffectiveness, and lost synergies.

:: ...grabs fresh bowl of popcorn... adjusts pillows... sits back to watch
this show... ::

I've voiced my opinion many times and I think it's rather well known, I
think one of the most important things said in this exchange over the past
few days was:

"Exactly!!!  If every time a new brand comes along, records managers try to
rebrand themselves; then you give up all the progress you made under the
old brand."

..and this came form a non-RM who has been closely aligned with the
profession for over two decades.

The people who have been entrenched in RIM in a variety of industries, both
private and publicly held, highly regulated or unregulated that have seen
these periodic "disturbances in The Force" happen have voiced, or at least
hold, opinions quite similar to Bruce and myself.

The longer you're involved in this, the greater involvement you have with
different aspects of the organization you work with, and if you can show
yourself as being knowledgeable, you are viewed as "adding value", so when
these discussions come up, you are in the mix and part and party to
decisions being made.

And unless your management is reading certain trade journals, they have no
clue that they should consider IG, they are simply concerned with the
proper management of their information as an asset to their organization.

:: ...readjusts the pillows...checks popcorn bowl... yep, plenty left... ::

--
Larry

*----Lawrence J. MedinaDanville, CARIM Professional since 1972*