From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Apr 2015 08:26:44 -0700
On Wed, Apr 1, 2015 at 7:09 AM, Gary Link <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> If you mean "archival" in the strictest sense, as in an archival
> repository maintaining permanent records with conservation methods
> applied, then I would wonder how the tension from the drawings hanging for
> decades would pull the medium if the medium is paper or cloth vellums. For
> example, museums that house clothing in storage (as opposed to display),
> will not store them on hangers because the fabric will eventually start to
> pull apart from being on a hanger for decades or longer. So from a
> conservation standpoint, I'd say "questionable." (for mylars, maybe not so
> much an issue)

"Pinch" is a bit of an inaccurate description.  The drawings do not come in
direct contact with anything other than a rigid 100#stock red rope type
material folder/pouch.

The folders are held in place by a 'compression' system, consisting of flat
bands of metal and large 3-4" diameter springs assemblies, suspended by
steel rods that roll on nylon wheels on a framework.

The cabinets are insulated and water and fire resistant and offer six sided
protection.  When closed (and locked), if the room they are in is not
fitted with floor drains, the only risk they have of water exposure is if
the water becomes so deep and the files are not filled, they MAY become
buoyant and tip over, and if left for hours, water could breach the seal on
the top edge.

The only question regarding "Archival" is if the folders are acid free or
not, and I honestly don't know the answer to this... and I don't know if
someone like Hollinger makes folders as large as these, suited for use in
these cabinets.

Larry

--
Larry