From:
Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Apr 2015 08:25:28 -0400

> From: charlene martin <[log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
> Subject: can vertical plan storage file cabinets be an archival storage solution for large blueprints?
>

> I am looking at fire-resistant high-density ones, likely a Ulrich:
> https://www.google.com/search?q=vertical+plan+file+cabinets&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=vertical+plan+file+cabinets&tbm=shop&spd=14219316096388769320 <https://www.google.com/search?q=vertical+plan+file+cabinets&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=vertical+plan+file+cabinets&tbm=shop&spd=14219316096388769320>
>
> I know the filing cabinet and hanging file itself is likely not archival
> and acid-free, but I don't know of a similar vertical system that is
> archival, that doesn't "pinch" the plan/blueprint in order to hold it
> vertically in place. I am hoping to substitute the hanging file with an
> acid-free version.
>
> Flat files were my first choice, but I don't know of any fireproof ones. If
> anyone knows of any, please feel free to post!
>
> Thanks.
>
> Charlene Martin
> Archives & Records Manager
> Syracuse NY
I have seen flat files and hanging files used but I would need to know what you are hanging.  If they are paper or mylar, then the option might vary.

The last company that made what they called Use-Engineered files like this was LeFebure.  Sentry Safe and other make large safes that could be outfitted with hanging bars.

We built a large vault for the State of Texas that had these flat file cabinets and for their volume it was less expensive to build a vault and fill it with non-insulated flat files inside a Class 350 Four Hour or Six Hour rather than safes which typically top out at about 2 hours.

If you have an inventory, I can talk with Russ Bassett about the Plan files and then calculate how large the vault would need to be.

Since drawings are done on CAD systems now, the computer files could be stored on the Cloud or tape and protect those tapes to give you the same protection.

If the flat files are instead storing art work, original mylar and other priceless material then the vault is still the best option as environmental control is critical to archival storage.

I just visited a client in New York State that had the most amazing art collection I have ever seen and they had that same issue of how they wanted to store prints, paintings and sculptures.  In measuring, I was stepping over things that should have been in protective cabinets.

I find the flat files are easier to search as the labels are easy to read and you have a nice area in which to define the cabinet contents.

I don’t like the hanger rods as when you pull files out they often fall out and the hanger rods are not good for single sheets.

Binding the drawing sets is an important part of keeping the plan files in good condition.

If you know someone from NIRMA, they keep large amounts of plan files on the Nuclear sites that they have excellent storage protocols in many cases as they must please the Nuclear Regulatory Agency.  Larry knows all these types of specifications I bet.

Cordially,

Hugh

Hugh Smith
FIRELOCK Fireproof Modular Vaults