From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Apr 2015 10:18:53 -0700
On Thu, Apr 2, 2015 at 9:58 AM, PeterK <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Given public interest in Federal Government email management, and in
> conjunction with its publication in the *Federal Register*
> <
> https://www.federalregister.gov/articles/2015/04/02/2015-07512/records-schedules
> >,
> NARA is soliciting comments on General Records Schedule 6.1: Email Managed
> under a Capstone Approach. To facilitate the comment process, a copy of the
> review package comprised of the proposed records disposition schedule,
> accompanying FAQ, and appraisal memoranda, can be downloaded
> <
> http://blogs.archives.gov/records-express/files/2015/04/FINAL-GRS-6.1-Review-Package-FR-Posting-03.30.15.pdf
> >
> (.pdf).  To aid in public understanding of this GRS, we created a White
> Paper
> <
> http://blogs.archives.gov/records-express/files/2015/04/FINAL-Capstone-WHITE-PAPER.pdf
> >
> (.pdf)
> that provides additional background information on the Capstone approach,
> appraisal of records at NARA, and the development of this general records
> schedule.

Oh, okay... this is rich.

So for YEARS, by practice, we've all followed the same rule (Fed or not)
that EMAIL IS NOT A RECORD SERIES....  Email is managed based on the
CONTENT and its VALUE, and is retained for a period of time appropriate for
that content and value.

NOW, email *IS* a record series? And you manage it based on WHO the email
"belongs" to or is associated with?  And this is all based on if you're
following the "CAPSTONE approach" ??

Mr. (or Ms.) Big's email... Permanent
Mr. (or Ms.)  Medium's email.... 7 years (UNLESS longer retention is
authorized for business use (?) )
Mr. (or Ms.) Commonfolk's email...3 years (UNLESS longer retention is
authorized for business use (?) )

..and don't forget kiddies.. if there are attachments, well, these periods
apply to those too... so don't decouple your attachments and manage them
based on their own content or value... (bcuz after all, it's the EMAIL
we're managing here!!)

So what happened to transitory email that is allowed to be left within the
email app and can be canned after 180 days? That's a minimum of 3 years now
too? unless you're Mr/Ms. Medium or Big...

I see the date on this paper re:Capstone is dated "April 2015"... I'm
wondering, was it issued on APRIL FIRST?!?

Egads, NARA...

Larry
--
Larry