From:
Tod Chernikoff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Apr 2015 14:16:08 -0400
Jesse wrote:

"Bruce, don't they have to do that already with emails that meet the definition of record? The only difference I see from that perspective is that they'd have to preface it with separating out the email records from the non-records, which I think is futile based on all the reasons I included in my previous response. But this issue is somewhat separate from the Capstone approach."

Just read the draft this morning.  I believe the 15 years is more of a maximum allowable timeframe.  NARA does allow for, in some cases, preaccessioning of electronic records.  In addition, if you read the details, the draft schedule (and in the general Capstone approach) there are allowances to cull non-records and personal messages from the accounts. In addition the Archivist of the United States (NARA) has the authority to do away with what is not deemed archival in the accessioning and processing.

Tod Chernikoff, CRM, IGP, CIP
Silver Spring MD
www.twitter.com/tchernik