From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 May 2015 09:19:53 -0700
On Fri, May 1, 2015 at 8:29 AM, Toner, Alex John <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I'm going to provide some deviation from this cyclical IG v. RM debate
> with the following question I hope someone can assist me with:
>
> Is anyone performing in-house microfiche digitization that can recommend
> or provide some insight as to scanner hardware your organization has
> purchased and uses? I've looked into outsourcing the project, however the
> cost has led to me re-evaluate. In addition to the fiche being targeted now
> we have a huge volume of fiche we may consider digitizing at some point
> down the road. It may prove to be more cost effective to purchase our own
> hardware rather than outsourcing.
>
> Thoughts on hardware, vendors, etc...?

Alex-

I won't provide any recommendations of specific hardware or vendors, too
much depends on the nature of the content of source materials, and volume
you have and the type of contracts you can negotiate to obtain the quality
of end product you're seeking.

In multiple past (and my current) situation, we've applied a hybrid
approach.  I can tell you however, it's always a good thought to consider
the concept of  "Do what you do best, and vend the rest" when it comes to
working outside of your organization's operational comfort zone.

When you decide to do this in-house, it takes time to get staff up to speed
on the process and especially the QC issues. Depending on how detailed you
want to get with your metadata collection/capture, that can be very time
consuming for people not normally performing these types of functions.

You also need to dedicate space for prep, processing, equipment, data
entry, image and data QC.

There are also major expenses for equipment, service contracts, materials,
training, and consider, once you've completed your major effort, what
happens to the equipment and staff ?

If you're handling sensitive, confidential, PII, PHI, PFI, HIPAA controlled
information... then you have to determine if you can trust the
transportation of your source media to an outside service bureau (and if
they have bonded staff), or if you'd rather negotiate to have them come
on-site and do the work in space you provide.

Its because of this reason (classified materials, actually) that we've
applied a hybrid approach, where we did a portion in-house and vended the
balance.

--
Larry

*----Lawrence J. MedinaDanville, CARIM Professional since 1972*