From:
Bruce White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 May 2015 14:26:30 -0400
Jim,

I haven't seen the signed Business Associate Agreement (BAA) (which
may one of the AG's exhibits) which is considered a contract.  If it
contains the standard clauses required by HHS
(http://1.usa.gov/1iifjv5).the answer to your question is no.  Most
BBAs I have reviewed include clear requirements for not only how PHI
records are managed and accessed but also how they are to be
destroyed.  I am guessing, in this case, throwing medical records into
a recycling bin or dumpster would be verboten.

Sometimes a carrot is all you need to convince an organization to
follow the law, sometimes it takes a 2' x 4' across the forehead...

Bruce White, CRM, PMP
Radnor, PA
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
LinkedIn:  http://www.linkedin.com/in/bblanco

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your
balance you must keep moving." -- Albert Einstein