From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 May 2015 09:40:33 -0700
On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 6:08 PM, PeterK <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Evan DeFransciso, a 20-year-old student, says he makes a clear demarcation:
> digital for schoolwork and paper for "my creative writing ... short
> stories, poems, personal thoughts."
>
> "The stuff that really matters goes onto the paper," he says.
>
> Not just any paper. He uses a small black notebook with an elastic band and
> a storied past. Picasso and Hemingway used an early version of the
> Moleskine, and now you can, too

I know we poke fun at Steve Whitaker  about his distaste for paper, but
even with Steve... it's a matter of context.  I'm sure when in the restroom
(or outhouse) Steve loves paper as much as the next guy =)  and I bet there
are other situations, like the one Evan DeFrancisco describes above that
Steve would be in agreement about.

So, in thinking about this and also thinking about a "path forward", I'd
like to offer the following two links for your consideration.

http://modnotebooks.com/

This was the first offering I saw that REALLY piqued my interest.  3
formats of finely produced, bound, journals in an easy to handle size, that
allow you to capture whatever your heart desires on paper... and then have
it scanned, converted to digital format, and available for your further
reference and use.  AND IF YOU DESIRE... they will return the paper to you,
or shred it and make it available for other uses.  The price is doggone
reasonable.  And yes, (after asking numerous questions) I bought in.

http://www.cnet.com/news/paper-notebook-uploads-to-cloud-erases-in-microwave/

::BOOM:: When I read this Indiegogo offer, my head almost exploded!!!  A
notebook that you can write content in and SEND IT DIRECTLY to cloud
storage, of a few options, that you can download and control the content
from yourself.  No scanning/imaging involved... and if you use the pens
they provide (or you purchase colors of) after you fill the notebook and
transmit your content, you can PLACE IT IN THE MICROWAVE and erase the
pages and reuse it over, and over, and over....  I definitely supported
this goal, and am awaiting my notebooks and pens.   I ordered extras for my
girls, so they can use them and send content back and forth like 'virtual
journals'.... for a decade they have been using Composition Books, writing
entries to each other, then mailing it back and forth until it's filled and
they start again. Welcome to today an this concept.

These options may be the next step to addressing the chasm that exists
between paper and digital content, even for those who aren't very accepting
of 'direct digital' content generation.

One example I see where these options would be great is a field journal
while on a hiking trip, or a vacation abroad or on the road, but there are
many other cases, like the "...creative writing ... short stories, poems,
personal thoughts...." Evan mentioned.

--
Larry

*----Lawrence J. MedinaDanville, CARIM Professional since 1972*