From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 May 2015 12:52:06 -0700
On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 12:40 PM, Susan Beamer <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> I'm looking for what others use as typical disposition (destruction at the
> end of approved retention) processes.
>
> I had a different (but working) process that I used, but it's become
> cumbersome.
>
> Do businesses that have their own on-site storage typically make a list of
> what is up for disposition (destruction) and email the pdf/doc to the
> departments and have them sign off on the approval of the destruction and
> return the list?
>
> Then if some records need to be held back from disposition (for this
> destruction cycle), the department would note that on the list?

There are opinions from both sides of the aisle on this one...

One party thinks "If you have an approved retention schedule that all
parties (including legal) have weighed in on, then you can just go ahead
and discard it when retention is met."

The other thinks "Records Management is generally just the custodian of the
records, NOT the owner and they shouldn't disposition ANYTHING without the
OWNERS approval"

I happen to agree with "the other" for a few of reasons:

1) You MAY have an approved retention schedule, but are all citations
current, and have all revisions been approved by the same parties?
2) Do you have a process that ensure Records Management is informed of
EVERY legal action that may require a 'hold' be placed on some records, and
can RM identify all of those records?
3) Have business models changed since the retention schedule was approved
and has anyone reviewed the schedule to determine if it is still consistent
with business needs?
4) If records are discarded that have ongoing/enduring./legal value, are
you willing to be responsible for NOT asking the question prior to disposal?

So yeah, as with many RM thingies... "It Depends...."

--
Larry

*----Lawrence J. MedinaDanville, CARIM Professional since 1972*