From:
Susan Beamer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jun 2015 14:14:01 -0700
Sharon said "First job - cleaning stalls and exercising horses...."

I grew up similar in Eastern Washington, but it was a family business.  We
raised and raced thoroughbred horses on the bush tracks of Eastern
Washington, North Idaho, BC, Western Montana.  We did go to the recognized
tracks in and around there over the years also.  But I wasn't paid until I
was in high school, or worked for another trainer.  I learned all the same
types of skills mentioned; integrity, keep your word, most of the time you
don't win, do your best, attention to detail, was a big one.  I also
learned naps are good (the only way to make it through the day when you've
been up past midnight with a horse and still have to be up and ready by
5am the next day).

My first real job was at 17 at the local DQ.  I learned I could not eat
drive-in food and stay slim!  I'd done so much manual labor, working with
horses that I could eat whatever I wanted.  Not so working at a drive
in.... :)

Susan Beamer
Records [and Archives] Manager
Eastern Washington State