From:
Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jun 2015 00:55:16 -0400
> From: PeterK <[log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
> Subject: Texas State Library and Archives Commission receives $7.5M increase in funding
>

> http://bit.ly/1J2bMzT <http://bit.ly/1J2bMzT>

Texas was the first state to install our Class 125 Digital Tape Storage vault for magnetic media and microfilm. It was the first time we stacked vaults.  Bill Dyess was the Director back then.

They have always been progressive.

Washington State then put in our vault and converted their complete records process to digital records so state residents could view any record via they web site. Jerry Handfield took State Records to a whole new platform.  It is interesting that state government was one of the most progressive in electronic records, long before others moved in that direction.

Texas did this 25 to 30 years ago  and Indiana and Washington followed suit and so many have still not caught up.  Bill and Jerry were real pioneers on the electronic records frontier.

Like the caddies at the PGA Championship, you don’t get to be the hero but sometimes you get to carry their baqs for a tournament.

For my smart friends, how would you advise for storing scrolls from antiquity, ancient pottery and records from time of the Roman Empire.  How do the rules for environmental control change?

Would you design the shelving so everything stays in the dark or use filtered lights? I thought LEDC lighting might be worth looking at as it is far less risk and can be provided in low voltage to avoid washing out records that will be kept forever in this vault?

Is there any new type of environmental control that is in use in the archive world?

Peter this might be a question for the archive world. What do you think?

Hugh Smith
FIRELOCK Fireproof Modular Vaults
(610)  756-4440    Fax (610)  756-4134
WWW.FIRELOCK.COM