From:
Vicki Lemieux <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jun 2015 23:57:35 -0400
For those interested in further information on the theme of this post, I
wrote a paper last year on how records management controls could be used
to address data management issues associated with big data analytics.  See:

Meeting Big Data challenges with visual analytics: The role of records
management, by Victoria L. Lemieux, Brianna Gormly and Lyse Rowledge,
Records Management Journal Vol. 24 Iss: 2, pp.122 - 141.

­ This paper aims to explore the role of records management in supporting
the effective use of information visualisation and visual analytics (VA)
to meet the challenges associated with the analysis of Big Data.

Design/methodology/approach

­ This exploratory research entailed conducting and analysing interviews
with a convenience sample of visual analysts and VA tool developers,
affiliated with a major VA institute, to gain a deeper understanding of
data-related issues that constrain or prevent effective visual analysis of
large data sets or the use of VA tools, and analysing key emergent themes
related to data challenges to map them to records management controls that
may be used to address them.

Findings

­ The authors identify key data-related issues that constrain or prevent
effective visual analysis of large data sets or the use of VA tools, and
identify records management controls that may be used to address these
data-related issues.

Originality/value

­ This paper discusses a relatively new field, VA, which has emerged in
response to meeting the challenge of analysing big, open data. It
contributes a small exploratory research study aimed at helping records
professionals understand the data challenges faced by visual analysts and,
by extension, data scientists for the analysis of large and heterogeneous
data sets. It further aims to help records professionals identify how
records management controls may be used to address data issues in the
context of VA.

Best wishes,
Victoria Lemieux