From:
Frederic Grevin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Sep 2015 21:33:22 +0000
Hugh, ISO 14721 (Reference‎ Model for an Open Archival Information System -- OAIS) is focussed almost completely on the very long-term preservation of digital archives. As a reference model, it is VERY generic: anyone wishing to implement a solution based on it has a long row to hoe (it's been done, though).
‎
ISO 16363‎ (Audit and certification of trustworthy digital repositories) is unquestionably a foundational document, but, as I recall, it has nothing whatsoever to say about fire protection.
‎
‎ISO 16919 (Requirements for bodies providing audit and certification of candidate trustworthy digital repositories) is intended to provide for "trusted third-party" entities that audit and certify a digital repository as "trustworthy". Again, an important document which complements ISO 16363, ‎but with no particular relevance to fire protection.

I'm not trying to be an obstructionist, Hugh, but NFPA 232 is about the protection of records from fire. Not hacking, not data breaches, not obsolescence, not failure to provide for adequate back ups, not failure to implement records management, and not failure to allow for decent eDiscovery protocols.

And the worst part of it is that American organisations, particularly the for-profit entities, frankly don't give a damn about any of the issues covered by the three ISO Standards you listed. American organisations, both not-for-profit and for-profit, are known for their lack of regard for International Standards generally -- unless they lead directly to more income and/or a bigger market share.
‎
Fred
Frederic J. Grevin
212-312-3903 (Office)