Date:
Tue, 12 Apr 2016 18:43:51 -0500
In March 2016, GAO reported that the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) had
instituted numerous controls over key financial and tax processing systems;
however, it had not always effectively implemented other controls intended
to properly restrict access to systems and information, among other
security measures. In particular, while IRS had improved some of its access
controls, weaknesses remained in key controls for identifying and
authenticating users, authorizing users' level of rights and privileges,
encrypting sensitive data, auditing and monitoring network activity, and
physically securing facilities housing its information technology
resources. These weaknesses were due in part to IRS's inconsistent
implementation of its agency-wide security program, including not fully
implementing prior GAO recommendations. GAO concluded that these weaknesses
collectively constituted a significant deficiency for the purposes of
financial reporting for fiscal year 2015. As a result, taxpayer and
financial data continue to be exposed to unnecessary risk.

Identity theft refund fraud also poses a significant challenge. IRS
estimates it paid $3.1 billion in these fraudulent refunds in filing season
2014, while preventing $22.5 billion (see figure). The full extent is
unknown because of the challenges inherent in detecting this form of fraud.

http://1.usa.gov/1VSGtin
http://1.usa.gov/1VSGtin+

--
Peterk