From:
Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Jun 2016 17:43:58 -0400
Remember Navin Johnson from the “Jerk” being so excited when the new phone books arrived??
“The phone books are here!  The phone books are here!”

Well today the UPS man brought me the latest copy of NFPA 232 “Protection of Records Standard”

I am sure Larry and Fred and Dick are running around their front yards; holding their bright red book
high and shouting “The Standard is here, the Standard is here.”  I hope Fred in home in the country
when he does that.  New York City folk might not share his excitement.  After seeing a 10 story high
Snoopy balloon and a 8 story high turkey in the Thanksgiving Day Parade, it is hard to amaze them.

But the new Standard has under 3.3.14 Record the inclusion of a new definition.

3.3.14.1*   Record Medium
3.2.14.1.1 Electronic Record.  A record on information technology equipment or communications equipment
(as defined by NFPA 75) or on off-line storage media such as computer tape, magnetic disk drives, optical
disks and flash drives.

The asterisk (*) refers to explanatory information in the Annex:
Annex - 3.3.14.1*   Record Medium  Electronic records and the applications used to access them, whether stored on the premises in servers or other storage hardware, should be protected by duplication or mirroring at an off-site location. Options include removable storage devices, cloud storage, or other remote storage technologies.

For those of you who are into Information Governance you should be jumping around and going crazy. After I got done explaining this to the CFO and Legal, I would be writing a paper about what this means in the corporate world and its effect on my business.

This is biblical. One of the big moments in the Bible are Adam and Eve eating the apple.  Well if IBM, Oracle, Verizon, J.P. Morgan, Storage Technology,  the CIA, NSA and other are asking records managers to define machine readable data as an electronic record and reference it in their Server Room Standard that is big.

Now if someone could catch Dick King before he overheats out there in Arizona, or Larry right after he has basted the ribs and brisket, they could explain this better than me.  Fred is probably on a subway and doesn’t even know the UPS man dropped his copy off at his house.  But he also can explain why this is “Post Apple”.

As Forrest says “Life is a box of chocolates and right now across the land; CIO’s are biting into a nut cluster that changes everything.  I will look forward to the first news article where a judge references NFPA 232 and the fact that information stored in the Cloud is a record, that the servers in the data center contain electronic records; and does that mean Amazon is now the largest records storage company in creation.

Somewhere in the Garden, IT Managers and CIO’s are sewing fig leaves together.  Genesis 3: 6-10

Thank you Larry and Fred and Dick.  What a masterful job of changing the world of records to increase the scope in an amazing way for those gifted enough to see the value. The world of Information Governance will love this resource.

For those who did not get their first edition 232 Standard, send off now.  That Standard and a yellow highlighter will be great in an upcoming meeting.  Go to NFPA.org/catalog <http://nfpa.org/catalog>  and order NFPA 232 -2017

Hugh Smith
FIRELOCK Fireproof Modular Vaults
(610)  756-4440    Fax (610)  756-4134
WWW.FIRELOCK.COM