From:
Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Jun 2016 09:25:13 -0400
> From: Jennie Dubin-Rhodin <[log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
> Subject: Re: New day but same stories
> Date: June 17, 2016 at 11:16:22 AM EDT
>
> I'm going to say from the perspective of someone who wrote a history book,
> that information like this can be an absolute treasure trove. Had anyone in
> the community I wrote my book on had been in jail, something like this
> could have been incredibly helpful. I could have known what specific crime
> they were incarcerated for, how long, which prison they'd been in, and
> other details, such as what they were doing while in jail might have been
> included.

There are efforts to expunge records after a period of time.  For example, someone with a non-violent drug offense like smoking marijauna or maybe DUI could have the offense removed after a period of time.  Would you have the right to include that in a book if that is PII on that individual?

I have to have FBI checks and background searches for past behavior in order to belong to the Optimist Club and coach young children.  I pass those checks but I am always amazed at how many people fail those checks. But if someone has an offense of 10 years ago and since then they matured and live a nice family life;  should that person be referenced in a book that lives on forever on the Internet/Amazon or other ways.

If the concept of PII is to exist, then society must find a way to make data die after a period of time, never to be resurrected.

Now that electronic records are defined as records, then records management should be able to classify and set retention schedules based on the unique attributes of the records. One example is as Ginny described, records with social security numbers in them, etc.

Hugh Smith
FIRELOCK Fireproof Modular Vaults
(610)  756-4440    Fax (610)  756-4134
WWW.FIRELOCK.COM