From:
"Jones, Virginia" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Aug 2016 14:20:00 +0000
Your questions bring a thousand thoughts and answers to mind, but I would like to comment on using tape as archival storage.  1 - it isn't a long life media, it was never designed to be.  2 - tape sizes change all the time, so would the tape drives necessary to restore them.  In the past ten years, we have gone through 4 generations of tape drives and rotate the tapes several times before discarding.  We only use tape for backup storage, not archival or retention storage.

Ginny Jones
(Virginia A. Jones, CRM, FAI)
Records Manager
Information Technology Division