From:
"McKee, Robert W." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Oct 2016 15:41:20 +0000
Renee asked: “All - looking for feedback or comments on Office 365.  What have been your challenges and how have you overcome them.“

Part of our company is on O365, and it presents some challenges from a RIM perspective.  One current concern is how updates and new apps are pushed out to users. My understanding is these apps are automatically made available to users as O365 pushes out updates, and the IT group is continually trying to understand exactly what MS is releasing and what that means from a user and governance standpoint. And they are often having to do this with short notice.

Some of these are social media types of applications like Yammer and Sway.  They just appeared one day!  Without much opportunity to vet and govern these applications prior to suddenly appearing on users’ screens, you can imagine the concerns and complications it creates.

Another O365 app that raised concern is Delve<https://support.office.com/en-us/article/What-is-Office-Delve-1315665a-c6af-4409-a28d-49f8916878ca>. It analyzes what you have worked on, and with whom, and then presents a dashboard of documents from your O365 environment it thinks you will find “interesting”. You can only see documents which you have permissions to, but what alarms me is how it proactively presents documents, contacts, etc. from other users in your company which you would otherwise never see. Again, it is permissions based, but having that app suddenly available in an update with little opportunity to understand or train on it…very concerning.

These apps can be “turned off”, but they default to being “turned on”.  That, of course is a “turn-off” for any Records Manager.

One Drive is on the horizon for us, and there is some concern there as well. Stay tuned.

It looks like I’ve used the word “concern” five times in this response, so I guess that sums up my feedback.

Robert McKee
Records Manager

700 Market
St. Louis, MO 63101