From:
Bruce White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Oct 2016 12:09:03 -0400
I don't want to put words in Gary's mouth but I suspect he (and
others) is looking for a position taken by ARMA, AIIM or other
professional organizations that retaining for DR purposes only is
considered a "best practice" and should not as an archive.  I don't
believe neither has a stance, not that I am aware of anyway.

The Sedona Conference discusses this topic in Comment 2.e. of their
"Best Practice Guidelines & Commentary for Managing Information &
Records in the Electronic Age."  The document available free on
https://thesedonaconference.org/ but requires you to establish an
account.  From the Comment: "Retention of disaster recovery backup
media beyond the period necessary to recover from a true disaster can
have unintended consequences should the organization become involved
in litigation."

On a side but related note I attended a conference sponsored by Sedona
in March.  The topic of disastery recovery backups and their use came
up during a duscussion on eDiscovery.  The conclusion by many, some
who were representing Fortune 500 companies - backups should be used
for DR purposes only.  Using them for any other purpose could have
costly consequences.

Bruce White, CRM, PMP
Radnor, PA
e-mail: [log in to unmask]