From:
Christopher Ferry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Dec 2016 15:47:41 -0500
Don,

I've been (indirectly as a contractor) in government RM for over 15 years
as well. The DOJ job as described just sounded like potentially walking
into a lion's den of conflict between current staff, new political
appointees, expectations from the public, records policy, and larger
responsibility to history. A fair amount of the folks in the Trump
transition team have less previous government experience than in earlier
transitions - and more importantly to me there seems to be a view that this
inexperience is a benefit and a tool to change policy.

I wasn't questioning any RM folks professionalism. I was instead asking
what sort of pro-active steps you'd take to hold to policy and professional
standards if you were asked to bend or break rules (either out of intent,
ignorance, or even as part of formal changes to policy). How would you
document your position? In a political world that has been called
"post-truth", do RM folks have increased responsibilities or will
tried-and-true instincts of career staff serve us just fine?

Christopher Ferry, CRM
Boston, MA