From:
"Seibolt, Robert" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jul 2017 19:09:32 +0000
Lisa stated:

Gary,

Thank you for responding!  Currently we have the bins and a company that shreds for us.  The thing that is disturbing is how many people here do not take their confidential items to the shredding bins.  We are looking for a new way to ensure we collect and destroy what is being thrown in garbage cans and not bins.

Rob's Response:
Lisa that sounds like an education/behavior issue. One way we encourage people to use the bins is by having them bring in their personal materials to shred as an organizational benefit. It saves them time instead of shredding docs one at a time at home and it drives positive behaviors for workplace materials. Overall it doesn't increase volume except at the start of when you offer it. We also tie it into to an understanding that information might be public domain but if found by a dumpster diver it still won't look good especially if the items found can be traced back to them.

You might also have to get more bins if you have people spread out in various areas. People won't carry stuff to a shred bin if they believe it to be "too far away". This may only be the difference from walking 30 or 40 more additional steps to a shred bin.  Even if a bin is not in the line of sight of a work area, employees may perceive it to be too far away when it is actually very close.

Rob Seibolt, CRM
Records and Library Services
http://www.mriglobal.org
This message is intended exclusively for the individual or entity to which it is addressed. This communication may contain information that is confidential, proprietary, privileged or otherwise legally exempt from disclosure. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by facsimile, e-mail or phone and delete all copies of the message.