Date:
Fri, 1 Sep 2017 16:57:35 -0500
When a federal agency wants to change its schedule for
preserving/destroying documents, it has to get permission from the National
Archives and Records Administration (NARA).

Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) has asked for permission to
destroy all its documents about the deaths of detained immigrants in
custody 20 years after a case is "closed." (Deaths in ICE custody are
almost always investigated by ICE itself. A minority are investigated by
the Department of Homeland Security's Inspector General. [report])
Similarly, ICE wants to destroy all its documents about sexual assaults of
detained immigrants in custody. The time frame is 20 years after a case is
"closed."

http://bit.ly/2vz1Fp0
http://bit.ly/2vz1Fp0+

ICE did not respond to Splinter’s request for more information on the
current retention schedule for records of in-custody ICE deaths. But for
reference, NARA told Splinter that the Federal Bureau of Prisons, which
incarcerates federal inmates, destroys records of in-custody deaths after
five years. The U.S. Marshals Service destroys in-custody death records
about two years after the investigation is concluded, according to
schedules approved by NARA.

http://bit.ly/2gqoxg0
http://bit.ly/2gqoxg0+

Unfortunately, even as this poor excuse for an administration continues to
falter in many places, we are continuing to see a drive among some
government employees – people paid by taxpayers – to increase the misery
and persecution of their fellow human beings. Immigration and Customs
Enforcement (ICE) has been particularly criminal in this regard, and it is
sad to say that it is now being enabled in its abusive activities by the
National Archives and Records Administration (NARA). It is a reminder that
records are not mere documents but – especially in a democratic society –
tools for ensuring accountability and for preserving and protecting
people’s basic human rights.

http://bit.ly/2gx4qQU
http://bit.ly/2gx4qQU+

--