Sender:
From:
Sharon Burnett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Nov 2004 11:31:41 -0800
Amy writes:
"As a graduate of University of Washington, Seattle, I would also like to
know if anyone has spoken with "Uncle Bill", to quote Laurie. :) I know they
just opened a brand new IT wing funded by his foundation, and it is
beautiful.  I wonder how many, if any, Records Management courses may be
included in the IT curriculum.  Are any Records Management professionals
lecturing there?"

Wish I could respond that there was a list of RM professionals 10 inches
thick teaching at the UW. But there is nothing. UW used to have the best
Records and Information Management Certificate Program. At one point area
employers recruited from this program's graduates almost exclusively. But no
more.

Obviously I did not attend this program. I have an issue with brian and
brain.

Recently I have been working on a project team to tackle the management of
our corporate entities. Through this experience, I am starting to learn more
about the role of the corporate secretary. It seems that there are some very
interesting organizations as in the American Society for Corporate
Secretaries (http://www.ascs.org/duties/index.shtml) that are worth our
exploration. Internal auditors are also often mentioned, but I wonder if
through these other functions perhaps there is something we often overlook.

I am one of those people too that could never decide what I wanted to be
when I grew up. I started out to be a veterinarian, but I can't handle
loosing the animals. Then I was going to be an attorney, but I can't stand
gray flannel suites. I like to understand how things work, where things come
from, and why we do what we do. Records management is that perfect joy - I
get to help people, learn new things, and get paid for doing it. I don't
have to grow up and that's perfect.

As far as "Uncle Bill" seems like he wrote something fairly flattering about
the records management profession in his last book "Business @ the Speed of
Thought." Chapter 4 I think? Remember guys, I can't really say anything bad
about MSFT. They paid our bills for a long time and when my partner was ill
they took really good care of him. That is the human side we don't see until
there is a tragedy.

Rock on and happy Friday!
Sharon

Sharon Burnett