Sender:
From:
JESSE WILKINS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Nov 2004 12:39:24 -0700
I would second Mary's observations. The local use of PST files as an archive
for email is, to me, akin to using the user's desk or file cabinet for
managing paper records: it's marginally better than nothing, short term, but
causes significant problems long term in terms of sorting through the cruft
to get to the records and in managing effectively the disposition of the
records at the end of the lifecycle. For example, if the user really
thrashes their machine, requiring it to be rebuilt or reimaged, everything
stored thereon is lost.

I would submit that the only really effective ways to manage email all
involve removing it from the primary message store, which is not designed
for retrieval, retention, and disposition, as well as from user control via
PST files. In an article I wrote for AIIM E-Doc Magazine
(http://www.edocmagazine.com/vault_articles.asp?ID=28843), I argue primarily
for declaration of email messages as records that are then stored in an
ERMS, so that proper records management principles can be applied. This is
costly, of course, as it presumes the existence of an ERMS in the
organization and requires someone to determine which messages are records
and which are not. But this is really best practice for managing email and
is the approach espoused in the just-released ANSI/ARMA 9-2004, Requirements
for Managing Electronic Messages as
Records(http://www.arma.org/bookstore/productdetail.cfm?ProductID=1499).

Secondarily I suggest use of an email archival application that can
centralize the management of the messages. It can often be tied into the
ERMS or RMA so as to allow better management. Another approach is to use an
EDMS, which is not as good with email and requires integration for retention
and disposition. But all of these I would argue are more viable in the long
term than either keeping the messages in Exchange or letting users manage
with Outlook.

My .02, and welcoming dissenting comments,

Jesse Wilkins
CDIA+, LIT, EDP, ICP
IMERGE Consulting
(303) 574-1455 office