Sender:
From:
Tim Barnard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Jun 2005 15:09:47 -0500
Yesterday my boss received a complimentary June 2005 issue of "Security Management" Magazine, in solicitation of a subscription.  The cover story is "Courting Trouble" by attorney Alan J. Ross, under the topic of electronic records management.  You can view it from their website at http://www.securitymanagement.com/.  (Peter may have run across this in his RAIN postings, but I've been behind in my list messages.)  It's a comprehensive article on the issues of electronic discovery, giving an overview of proposed discovery rules now being reviewed by the U.S. Supreme Court.  It also outlines procedures on setting up and enforcing a records retention and destruction policy.  Though it mentions records management and even Cohasset Associates' 2003 ERM survey, as usual it never mentions records MANAGERS.  Here is an excerpt:

"The organization should also identify a person who will be called on to testify about the organization's document retention policies. Most likely, this will be the person who is knowledgeable about the policy, the company's computers, and the realities of records management at the company. However, most importantly, the person must have the ability to testify credibly in a courtroom.
"The person chosen to testify would most likely to be a security professional."

Okay, so it's a magazine for security professionals.  But couldn't a records manager do the same thing?

Looking over the table of contents of several recent issues, I see they periodically address IT security and electronic records issues, but not enough to justify a subscription.  Most of the other articles are on physical security, so I'm passing it on to our county administrator.  Given recent discussions on where RM fits in an organization, are there many RM's that deal with building security too?

Tim Barnard, Records Management Clerk
Harrison County, Mississippi
Phone (228) 865-4121 Fax (228) 865-4140