Sender:
Date:
Wed, 4 Jan 2006 12:43:06 -0600
From:
mwhaider <[log in to unmask]>
I assumed I would get some disagreement on my statement so I will explain.
I have read and heard many discussions about "official records".  My
experience is that many (if not all) people/employees have inherited the
sense that if the document/information is not "official" there are no
rules.  *I've actually heard some people say that only regulated documents
are records and that everything else is a "non-record".*  Of course, I
totally disagree.

In addition, I have read articles by Records Managers who describe a
scenario of trying to track down all copies of a specific document so that
all are destroyed at the same time.  In the paper world multiple copies of
one document will be found in a variety of "records series", each with a
different retention time.  (And, unfortunately, I am finding this just as
true in the electronic world.)

I try to avoid the "official record" game.  When we inventory records and
apply records analysis we are describing the values and "owners" of the
records in the functional area where they are: retained, used, referenced,
audited etc.  (I also use the word "owner" very carefully because we
consider the organization to be the actual owner.)

As a result we end up with something like this:  Personnel Files retained by
the HR department are valued and assigned a retention code that meets our
business and regulatory requirements; Personnel Files retained by various
managers throughout the organization are assigned a different retention
code that meets the needs of the manager.  The files retained by HR are
generally referenced when personel information is required for any business,
regulatory, audit, or tax requirement.  The files retained by the manager
are essentially convenience copies for that manager.  Both sets of files are
records and are discoverable and serve very specific purposes.

Other records categories have similar differentiations.

As we begin to create and maintain more records in electronic form we will
apply the retention that is most appropriate to that set of information in
that media format; and, ownership will be assigned based on the records
analysis and business organizational needs.

Splitting hairs over "official records" seems to me to be a waste of
time.  I recommend that we identify/inventory records, do a thorough records
analysis and assign records retention based on the content, value and
purpose of that set of records.  Over time we recognize duplications and
similarities.  That is why experience is such a valuable commodity in
Records Analysis.

I'm always open to other points of view so please respond.  Maybe we can
find a solution that makes sense to both Records Managers and our user base.
Thanks Mary

Mary W. Haider
Records & Information Manager