Sender:
Date:
Wed, 4 Jan 2006 14:56:28 -0600
From:
mwhaider <[log in to unmask]>
Gerry,
Thanks for responding.  I use very similar examples when explaining the term
"records series" and it seems to make sense to employees during the training
session.  But when they return to their desks the old mindset seems to take
precedence.

It sounds like you and I have essentially the same approach, but I still
stumble on the word "official".  Perhaps that is the difference between the
government and corporate world.  When I worked in the government world the
term "official" was used often - I had managers insist that
written telephone messages were "non-records" because they weren't official.

I believe that we (the profession) may need to change some of the
terminology and/or definitions we use.  Within the records management
profession most of us will understand what another Records Manager means;
but, now that records retention is being implemented by end users and IT
departments (not to mention computer software) the accepted understanding is
not translating very well.

I like your example of "some duplicates are unofficial while other
duplicates are official".  In my world all recorded information is a record
whether an original or duplicate.  Each will be assigned a retention code
that matches the content and purpose of that set (as you described regarding
your project files).  Some sets of records have very short retention times
because their useful life may only be minutes or seconds.

I've enjoyed this exchange of ideas. I will be careful how and why I use the
word "official", because it still slips from lips occassionally.
Thanks Mary

Mary W. Haider
Records & Information Manager