Sender:
From:
John Lovejoy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Jan 2006 15:16:04 +1100
The National Archives of Australia's "Administrative Functions Disposal
Authority" entries on Technology and Telecommunication
(http://www.naa.gov.au/recordkeeping/disposal/authorities/GDA/AFDA/PDF/Techn
ology.pdf) permit the destruction of all Application Development
documentation for production systems "5 years after (sub)system is defunct
and any data supported is either migrated or destroyed" (entry 2086)

Part of the reasoning behind this was to make sure that the code etc which
'drove' the data would still be around so that the data could actually be
accessed data for as long as necessary.  Records of the migration are also
required to be kept for a period of time.

The other questions posed by the original poster (I'm catching up on a
backlog of mail, so I don't have quick access to the original request) may
also be answered by the disposal authority (albeit for another jurisdiction)

John Lovejoy
I speak for me, not them (but I was involved in the production of this
particular part of the document)