Sender:
From:
John Lovejoy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Feb 2006 16:40:36 +1100
Linda

The correct answer is, of course, "it depends".

I assume that in your testing envionment, you start off with a copy of
production data (or a reasonable subset), and then do stuff with it -
retreive, edit, add, delete etc.

I also assume that you have taken steps to depersonalise any personal
identifiers, delete any sensitive information, etc.

If the storage is a problem, then what I would do would be to cost how much
it would take to recreate the testing environment.  If it would cost more to
generate the copy (or subset) of the data than the costs involved in storing
the data for a length of time, then the answer is obvious - do not store the
data after the testing is signed off.  If the costs are the other way round
(it costs more to recreate the data than to store it), then keep the test
data in the test environment.

Your "copy of record" should be in the production system - not the test
environment, so there should be no rational reason why the test data should
be kept for any longer than economically viable.

Just a thought from down under, where 75.93% of people think that I am witty
too.  At least thats what I think they mean when they say that I am a "great
wit".

John Lovejoy
I speak for me, not for them