Sender:
Date:
Fri, 17 Feb 2006 04:54:47 -0800
From:
Patrick Cunningham <[log in to unmask]>
As you might know, I have no official duties with the List, other than
past appearances as the self-appointed voice of reason when things got
a little out of hand. <grin>

Actually, I did Google a name from the List the other day, looking for
an email address and noticed that postings from the List were in
Google. Guess it didn't surprise me and I was happy to get the address
that way.

But, having any sense that "what happens on the List stays on the List"
is a false sense of security. Once you write it and commit it to the
wire out of the back of your PC, it's gone and completely out of your
control. As a few folks can attest here, that is usually an
embarrassing event, and occasionally a somewhat painful event.

For all intents and purposes, unless we have another glitch that dumps
the Lists archives (and frankly, while a big chunk of our early history
doesn't exist anymore, there are many of us who aren't unhappy that
some of the more vitriolic flame wars of the past aren't around to
relive), the retention periodic for List postings is plenty long (I'd
say "permanenet", but I suspect that our hosts at the University of
Florida will want some disk back some day).

So folks, keep in mind that you're just a Google search away from
immortality.

Patrick Cunningham, CRM