Sender:
Date:
Fri, 17 Feb 2006 06:12:30 -0800
From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
On 2/17/06, Tom Wilson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> More than just immortality, remember when you send e-mail from your
> company
> address you might be unwittingly making an impression about your company
> or
> in a worst case revealing something other Googlers will be able to see.
> Some of you may well know where I work, but I don't include my company
> name
> in my postings and I post from a personal e-mail address.  To me this
> board
> is not directly about my job, but about my own education and offerings
> from
> and to the RIM community.

Too True, Tom

I've tried to pass similar suggestions to others over the past couple of
years, and even got accused of some pretty nasty things by one newcomer last
year for having done that.  I cited two occasions where individuals who
semi-regularly post to the List met some ill consequences from having posted
from a work e-mail account, neither of them were career threatening, but
both of them were more uncomfortable than need be.

Getting a web-based mail account is easy, cheap (or in most cases FREE) and
it allows you to keep the "clutter" down on your work computer.

Patrick's right... you CAN Google almost all the posts up (there's a lag of
some period of time before they appear) and you can also find almost any
post through the archives (it's a VERY robust, albeit not too selective)
search engine and it will crawl the entire archive.  And that's something to
consider when it comes to determining what posts to save locally and what
posts not to.

Happy Friday, all.

Larry

--