Sender:
Date:
Sun, 19 Feb 2006 12:08:46 -0500
From:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
On 2/15/06, Roach, Bill J. <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>  >>Applying the 2X4 method is usually the surest way to cause a system
> to fail.<<
>
> Absolutely.  I use the marketing principles I learned years ago the sell
> any kind of change, including that of technology.  Adopters fall into a
> number of classes.

According to Geoffrey Moore in his book "Crossing the Chasm"  there
are 5 different classes of adopters;

Innovators aka technology enthusiasts or techies, the ones who buy a
new technology when it costs thousands of dollars. think of the
individual who bought the first HDTV or got a blackberry.

Visionaries not looking for improvement but looking for a fundamental
breakthrough. easy to sell but hard to please

Early Majority - pragmatists represent the bulk, hard to win over,
loyal once won, understand their values and work to serve them

Late Majority - conservatives fear high tech a little bit, buy into
things that are extremely mature products, want high-tech products to
be like refrigerators. they understand best products that are focused
on a single function, fax machines, calculators, etc

Laggards - skeptics  do not participate in the high-tech marketplace,
except to block purchases. basically naysayers.

>Focusing your efforts on the proper one will make
> life much easier for everyone.  Focus early efforts on innovator's. They
> are the ones who will try anything once.  When they are happy, go after
> the early adopters.
< They will follow the lead of the innovators.  Once
> both of those are in camp, move on to the early and late majorities.

the problem is that you have to cross that chasm between innovators
and the early majority, but as Bill points out once you cross that
point and gain the early majority you are halfway home

for more information about Crossing the Chasm explore the following links

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossing_the_Chasm

http://www.testing.com/writings/reviews/moore-chasm.html

http://www.parkerhill.com/Summary%20of%20Crossing%20the%20Chasm.pdf

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0060517123/103-7298375-8195869?v=glance&n=283155