Sender:
From:
Jay Maechtlen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Mar 2006 15:11:04 -0800
Records Management Program <[log in to unmask]> wrote on 03/01/2006
02:02:41 PM:

> I have two computers at home, a desk top computer with Windows 98 SE
> which I purchased around 1997 and a notebook with Windows XP which I
> purchased in 2005.  (It replaced a Windows ME notebook I bought for my
> late sister when she was diagnosed with cancer in 2001.) I have
> continued to use the Haldeman CD-ROM for research on the (Windows 98)
> desktop computer.  However, when I recently tried to use the Sony CD on
> my newer computer (which has a later version of Quicktime) I got the
> same error messages described by the user below.

This will be an application for VMWare-type technology, or a use for an
obselete computer.
I'll bet if you set up an old '486 with Win 95 or so, and nothing else,
you can get it to run. (You may even need Win 3.1?)
Win'98 might or might not work because of the various updates that
occurred. Your '98 machine has newer software that doesn't get replaced by
the old stuff on the CD.

Of course, you will want to keep that machine well away from the Web, as
no modern A-V or other security software would run on it.
With a free Beta of VMWare Werver, you could do all this on a Virtual
Machine, then save the whole install as a package that would play on
VMWare's <free> VMware Player.
The Player can be installed on modern machines, letting you run the
obselete machine configuration in its own obselete sandbox.

cheers
Jay

The information in this email, and any attachments, may contain
confidential information and is intended solely for the attention
and use of the named addressee(s). It must not be disclosed to any
person(s) without authorization. If you are not the intended
recipient, or a person responsible for delivering it to the
intended recipient, you are not authorized to, and must not,
disclose, copy, distribute, or retain this message or any part of
it. If you have received this communication in error, please notify
the sender immediately.