Sender:
Date:
Wed, 1 Mar 2006 20:55:17 EST
From:
Maarja Krusten <[log in to unmask]>
Comments:
Thanks, Jay.  Good advice.  Right now, I still can play the 1994 Sony CD of
the Haldeman diaries on my old desktop computer, which has a Windows 98 first
edition operating system.  (I misidentified it as Win 98 SE in my earlier
posting.)  That's the one I loaded my CD onto and have used since I got the
computer around 1997.

Maybe I'll print out copies of each of the Haldeman diary entries over time,
as long as the old desktop computer still is working.  Talk about labor
intensive, I think it will be over between 1,000 and 2,000 pages!  Before Steve
chimes in about hating paper, I'll quickly add that there is no copy and paste
feature available on the CD's display of the individual diary entries. You can't
highlight text, copy, paste nor can you export text.  There are no right click
options. :-p  If any of you have access to a university library, you might
see if they have the Haldeman Diaries CD and whether they can play it on any
existing equipment.

For it's time, it actually was a very nice CD.  There were embedded links
that took you to photos of some of the events Bob Haldeman described in his diary
entries.  And the CD also has clips of some of the old vintage film that Bob
shot.  Its relative inaccessibility now shows what can happen to commercially
produced history products when technology changes.  Something like this is a
one shot deal, the original electronic publisher isn't going to reissue it in a
new format.

I remember talking to Bob in the late 1980s about his plans to electronically
publish his diaries.  It all sounded so futuristic to me at the time!  Here's