Sender:
From:
Janie Wait <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Mar 2006 00:45:25 -0700
Laura,
 You said-

Recently I sent for instructions on how to pack microfilm records.

Once again, need more information.  If it is Master negative film in it's
original acid free box then the film is already protected from most dangers.
 Heat and humidity are your main concerns then.  If the film is silver
halide duplicates in white cardboard, then you might want to invest in some
black plastic film boxes to keep them protected.  If it is diazo duplicates,
make sure you are not storing them with or near the silver masters and that
they are in sealed plastic film boxes.  This film will continue to exude
ammonia fumes for years and could cause problems in a closed unventilated
space. Last but not least if it is silver nitrate film, you have serious
problem in that it can literally self ignite from the fumes it creates and
must be stored in a refrigerated space for safety.

Other than being told that I should use a different box than the records
boxes for the FRCs I didn't receive any special guidance.

I expect that would be due to the weight of film exceeding the structural
capacity of most standard storage boxes. Most box companies have the 24x9x4
boxes that stand up best to the storage and handling requirements of film.

The folks who are doing the packing are very inexperienced with records.

Then make sure they are closely supervised or you will surely have a
retrieval disaster on you hands down the road.

Does any one have guidance on how to back microfilm for transfer?   Are they
in any special order?

I am not sure I understand what you mean by "back microfilm" for transfer.
You do need to use proper or rather established records transfer protocols,
like you do when you want to ascension any records into a centralized
storage facility. If you can't find them when you need them they are
worthless. And if no one know what information is on them, they will never
be looked for!

What about the guide?  Does that go in a folder within the box?

Technically that depends on how sophisticated your receipting procedure and
system is, but it never hurts to back up new technology with good old common
sense.  You should absolutely but the guide in the box if you have one!

Keep in mind, as a consultant I am all about giving my advise...but in the
same vein I am also used to it being ignored!

You have a great resources in the federal record center system and with the
National Archives so don't hesitate you contact them. They are typically
great sources of unbiased information.

And last but not least, be sure to check with any of your vendors for their
perspective, just keep in mind they  probably have their own agendas (like
selling you 10,000 boxes that you might not need)!

Good luck with your project!

Janie Wait, CRM, MBA
President
Director of Marketing