Sender:
Date:
Fri, 3 Mar 2006 07:45:59 -0800
From:
Charmaine Brooks <[log in to unmask]>
Just one more comment - really just one.

  About the "pretenders" - I think we have all spoken with a vendor that didn't know the first thing about RIM.

  The document management vendors helped create the mess we are facing, by telling IT to just image everything and they'll be heros. None of them listened as we tried to tell them they are only trading one media (paper) for another (electronic - tape, hard drives, CD's, etc). The proliferation of paper documents with the invention of the copier is nothing compared to the multiple copies of documents in an electronic environment, not only in back ups, but the ease of creating and sending them to everyone.

  Back to the pretenders - the last few years have presented a major change for them.  I worked for a RM Software vendor that was acquired first by a BPM company, then by an ECM company. They knew they had to have RM in their suite of products, but had little idea what they had purchased. It has been a paradigm shift for them and they are beginning to get it. I can not tell you how it warmed my heart to see how many RM sessions are being held at user conferences of the big ECM providers. At lunch the reps and bus dev people stated they didn't know records management and needed to learn.

  They and IT finally get it, but there is a learning curve. We can help teach them and, yes, the true pretenders will drop out of the game. Hopefully not taking too many customers with them.

  Charmaine Brooks
  IMERGE Consulting
  (208) 343-1904