Sender:
From:
Blake Richardson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 2006 09:24:21 -0600
Chris, thanks for the information

-----Original Message-----
From: Records Management Program [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Chris Flynn
Sent: Thursday, March 23, 2006 9:05 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [RM] help!

Blake,

I would say that microfilming would be where the knowledge base is. The
auditors haven't come to the conclusion yet that RM owns the entire
process in microfilming so the the conflict that arises in electronic
records is possibly valid there as well. The split between the RM
operation and IT is based on Cobit. The controls that are required put
the system administrator outside hte direct control of the owner. What
some folks have called god keys have creted some issues in the audit
trail. Heap on top of that a dire lack of enforceable ethics within the
IT and RM professions and you can see why they get a little nervous.

From an RM perspective my objections are a little different from the
auditors. The ROI is only achievable in scanning if you can "catch" the
record at or near the point of creation. If you accept that only about
fifteen percent of all records filed will ever be accessed again you
will quickly see that there is little to be gained by scanning yor
urecords center. However, if you can capture the record at the beginning
of the process there are all sorts of benefits to be gained. As Records
Managers we want the other business process owners to retain
responsiblity for the processes they control. Scanning is another aspect
of that control. We want them to do it right, but we want THEM to do it.

Chris Flynn

-