Sender:
Date:
Sat, 25 Mar 2006 20:29:23 -0600
From:
mwhaider <[log in to unmask]>
Thanks Julie,
I have a lot to learn about the enterprise systems such as SAP, Peoplesoft
etc and I agree with your comments.  The RIM system I have in place has the
capability of communicating, but I've been told that these other
respositories cannot.  I'm assuming that is because they have not been built
with an open architecture such as the SOA in this discussion.  As a result,
I am definitely in favor of the SOA type architecture which appears to
provide everyone with much more flexibility.
Thanks Mary

On 3/24/06, Colgan, Julie J. <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Mary, clearly I am a novice on this issue, but it seems unlikely to me
> that the enterprise systems/repositories you mention (SAP, PeopleSoft)
> were architected with a SOA environment in mind.
>
> Taking from what David said, it appears that the repositories (SAP,
> PeopleSoft) must be able to speak a certain language in order to
> properly communicate with the RM system, thus allowing the application
> of the service to the repository (David offered SOAP as an example of
> such a language requirement).  So I guess the rub really lies in whether
> or not the repositories already speak the necessary language, or if they
> don't, is it cumbersome (or even possible) to create a translation
> interface between the two that will allow for "direct" interaction?
>
> Perhaps we could ask that question of the RM system instead ... has the
> RMS been architected in such a way as to work with SAP (and/or other
> popular enterprise systems), using the inherent language of those
> systems?  I'm not sure where the responsibility lies ... does SAP, etc.
> need to make changes or do the RM products need to be proactive about
> providing functionality to address existing systems that are already in
> use at a gazillion companies?
>
> If I were purchasing a RMS that is supposed to function in a SOA way, I
> would want to ask the prospective vendors if their systems can talk to
> the repositories I already have in place (seems practical enough!).
> However, if you already have the repositories in place, and you already
> purchased a RM system and didn't ask those questions first, you may find
> yourself with a RM product that speaks English, French and Spanish, but
> enterprise systems that only speak Chinese and Italian.
>
> Long story short, I don't have an answer for you (obviously!).  If you
> find yourself in that last scenario, I'd suggest that you get the
> programmers for the repository products and the programmers for the RM
> product together, lock them in a conference room with a lot of coffee
> and doughnuts and tell them to remain there until they can work out the
> translation problems.  It will likely cost you a fortune though!
>
> Best of luck to you - keep fighting the good fight!
>
> Julie
>

> Note:
> This message and any attachments from the law firm Arnall Golden Gregory
> LLP may contain CONFIDENTIAL and legally protected information.  If you are
> not the addressee and an intended recipient, please do not read, copy, use
> or disclose this communication to others; also, please notify the sender by
> replying to this message, and then delete it from your system.  Thank you.

Mary W. Haider
Records & Information Manager