Sender:
Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 2006 09:06:55 -0600
From:
mwhaider <[log in to unmask]>
Laura,
I believe that your records management system needs to be in place before
implementing CM or DM.  The management of content and/or documents hinges on
applying RM practices and retention policies at the beginning of your CM/DM
project.

Implementing RM after the fact could be similar to tackling a backlog of
thousands of boxes of paper records.  Make sure your RIM program, policies,
procedures etc are solid first; then integrate with the CM/DM systems as
they are implemented.
Thanks Mary

On 3/31/06, Laura Bell <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I was wondering does anyone have a phased approach to the decision tree
> of implementation of a CM/DM  -hopefully - RM system too someday?  I
> have heard many people talk scenarios -however it seems daunting with
> hardly any funding, keeping a team focused, managing too move ever
> forward and all the choices out there.  We want to solve the first two
> issues first CM/DM than move onto RM.  But I have been looking at the
> RMA as a matter of choice.
>

> Any assistance would be appreciated.
>

> Ms. Laura F. Bell
>
> DOT Directives & Records Management
>
> Office of the Secretary of Transportation

> 202-366-9761

Mary W. Haider
Records & Information Manager