Sender:
From:
Maarja Krusten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Jul 2006 12:08:22 EDT
Replying from home, not the office, LOL.  You make a good point, John, about
hard versus soft issues.  I'm not convinced that Wikipedia is equipped to do
nuance very well although it might  present some very narrow technical or
scientific issues acceptably.  I noticed some of that in the Wikipedia entry on
political correctness, which didn't seem to have many shades of gray although it
was addressing some social and/or political issues that may be controversial.
I'm certainly not convinced everything it discussed in that entry was as
clear cut as the multiple writers presented it to be.   Too many things were
stated categorically without enough of what auditors refer to as "support."  And,
of course, perhaps I see gray in some areas that others view as more black and
white, or Right and Left, who knows.

Although I've barely used it, I am glad to see others stating too that while
they might look at Wikipedia's entries, and even use them as jumping off
points (using some of the outside links or bibliographic entries), they would never
cite it as a source.  I wouldn't either.  I would feel the same way even if I
didn't work at GAO, which, of course, issues meticulously worded standards of
evidence in its "Yellow Book" (Government Auditing Standards).

Interesting thoughts on Wikipedia here from those who have looked at it more
than I, very useful comments here, thank you all!

Maarja