Sender:
Date:
Wed, 5 Jul 2006 14:53:56 -0400
Subject:
From:
Maarja Krusten <[log in to unmask]>
Oh, please.  Let's not start a round of "I'm superior to those in other
professions because I do this while they do that."  Frankly, it gets
old and makes me wonder why it ever is necessary.  I rarely roll my
eyes when I read List messages, but a round that I triggered by writing
about my dead twin sister doesn't deserve a fetish slap at archivists,
which, of course, I made clear that she was.  She's not here to defend
herself, would that she were.

If some of you hate paper, fine, go ahead and hate it, hate anything
you want, that doesn't diminish me or my dead sister or those who were
or are comfortable doing research in paper or digital.  Enjoyment is a
much more positive emotion to undergird one's hobbies or activities
than disdain.  I don't hate much of anything, life is too short, as
losing my sis when she was 51 reminded me.  If some of you cherish
holding old paper, either in historical research or because it is
associated with your loved ones -- I do understand that.  And Chris
Browne and H. Pike's messages were interesting and nice, as far as I'm
concerned.  If some of you want to argue that digital is easier to
handle, I get that too.  Isn't that why I turned to you for help in the
first place?  Sheesh.

What I don't understand is why someone somehow inevitably has take a
slap at people who deviate from their views -- when the views don't
threaten anyone's professionalism since they relate to issues that
arise with the handling of records in personal life.  Yeah, I know
information is an asset, it's easier to handle in digital form, blah
blah blah.  But even when we're discussing the office, this isn't about
playing King of the Hill, we don't have to trump each other in order to
have others listen to us, it's just a Listserv.  If we get into X does
this,Y does that, the message that John Gervais posted last week about
a sense of community will ring hollow, LOL.

Come on, people, this is the good ol' US of A, we just celebrated
Independence Day, let's leave ourselves a little leeway for some
independence in expressing what we like and don't like outside the
office, shall we?  save the smackdowns for when they are really needed
(which I say is -- rarely).

This note is not as clever as Steve Whitaker's list of likes and
dislikes (sorry, I'm not as witty as he), but definitely heartfelt.

Maarja ( usually pretty diplomatic but not in this note)