Sender:
From:
Maarja Krusten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jul 2006 19:50:07 EDT
Sorry about the blank message sent just now, it wasn't me, it was my
Smartphone!  If I unknowingly bump a button on it while it is in my pocket, it
cometimes sends a blank reply to the highlighted message if my IMAP AOL email is the
screen displayed.  One more inadvertent mistake by Maarja, hahahaha.

I plan to unsubscribe from this account as soon as I post this note, so that
problem won't occur again.  Here's why I'm sending one more general note.
Several of you asked me privately about the Archives List today (thanks for the
nice notes, BTW), so I thought I'd post some info about it.  This is copied
from the List footer.

"To subscribe or unsubscribe, send e-mail to
                    *or*:  UNSUB ARCHIVES

     http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/archives.html   "

One note of caution.  One person I know refers to the Archives List as mostly
leaning liberal.  I can't corroborate that person's take on the List but I
can't discount it, either.  (I can neither confirm nor deny, LOL).  I've
described myself, publicly, as an Independent so I am not likely to get into
discussions about politics.   So I don't know how most of the people on the List stand
ideologically, although sometimes something pops up in someone's posting that
seems to point one way or another (as it does on this List, too, on rare
occasions).  I don't have good antenna for that sort of stuff as I'm not an
ideologue.  Sometimes I vote for a candidate from one party, sometimes from the
other.

So, don't let this cautionary note stop you all from checking out the List.
I would say that interest in public access to government records and
historical accountability need not be linked to voting for one political party,
although people sometimes seem to assume that that is the case.   And that lack of
interest in such, or a belief that officials should keep their records private
and mostly unreleased to the public isn't necessarily related to one political
faction, either.  Sometimes stereotypes fit, sometimes not. In 1980, I was
working very hard to screen Richard Nixon's tapes, especially the abuse of power
segments, to release to the public in accordance with the PRMPA.  That had
nothing to do with the fact that I voted for Ronald Reagan that year.  (I stopped
revealing my voting record after 1989).

If you're interested, do check out the Archives List, at least by looking at
its Archives!  And for my friends on this List (the ones on my trust list,
LOL), please stay in touch with me at this account.  Pass along any interesting
news on records -- although Peter K. does post RAIN to the Archives List, I
welcome any additional nuggets or insights from you here.  And let me know how
you're doing (well, I hope)!!

Take care and best wishes!

Maarja