Sender:
Date:
Fri, 24 Nov 2006 20:50:52 -0500
From:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
Comments:
RAIN 061120
Records and Archives In the News is a compilation of news stories
related to records and archives management.

Privacy: The Problem That Won't Go Away
Your privacy mistakes can easily become everyone's business. Here's how
to keep your company--and your career--out of the spotlight.
By John Soat,  InformationWeek
Nov. 20, 2006
8
Everybody knows privacy is important. Every company has a privacy
policy, or should (You have one, right? And you've read it, right?),
and more and more companies are appointing chief privacy officers to
ensure compliance with government regulations and company standards.
So why do privacy problems continue to plague large and small
companies, government agencies, and nonprofit organizations? Because a
privacy policy and honcho are only the table stakes in a global,
online, real-time business world. Now that data is currency and network
access ubiquitous, there's more to making privacy work than a wink and
a nod. Privacy must go deeper into a company's culture, until it's part
of how a company thinks and acts with its customers, partners, and the
public.

Down To Business: Can The Worthless Regs
Some are way too broad. Others have outlived their usefulness. We
should be as rigorous in evaluating and retiring IT regulations as we
are (or should be) with our IT systems.
By Rob Preston,
Nov. 20, 2006
1
We've all seen too much money thrown at grandiose IT programs. Too much
consensus-building and scope creep and not enough tough
decision-making. Too many pet projects that should never have been let
out of the kennel. Too much software that never made it off the shelf.
Too many legacy systems that were never retired.
Unfortunately, this kind of overkill and underkill extends to IT
policy-making as well. The people who make the rules that govern
information technology and practices fall into the same traps as the
people who buy and manage IT systems.

IT Confidential: Supreme Court Says, Show Me The Data
As of Dec. 1, federal regulations will require companies to inventory
all their data. Are you prepared to dig out that incriminating E-mail
string? If not, you'd better have a good reason or a lot of extra cash.
By John Soat,
Nov. 13, 2006
6
I received several E-mails asking for more information about the new
federal rules for records management that I mentioned in this column
last week. So I sought out several experts in the area. I spoke with
Michael Gold, a senior partner, and Stan Gibson, a trial attorney with
Jeffer Mangels Butler & Marmaro; Gold and Gibson are also co-chairmen
of the firm's discovery technology group. I also spoke with Tom Aleman,
head of the analytic and forensic technology group at Deloitte
Financial Advisory Services.

The Digital Ice Age
Popular Mechanics - USA
The documents of our time are being recorded as bits and bytes with no
guarantee of future readability. As technologies change, we may find our
files frozen in ...
<http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/industry/4201645.html>

Viewpoint: Keeping students under watch
UT The Daily Texan - Austin,TX,USA
... Price Books, employees found an interesting set of files relating to
the surveillance of UT students by the campus police department. The
documents show that ...
<http://www.dailytexanonline.com/news/2006/11/20/Opinion/Viewpoint.Keepin
g.Students.Under.Watch-2469942.shtml>

Confidential ACS files found dumped on street
New York Daily News - New York,NY,USA
... Also tucked among the files were countless apparently
unsubstantiated
cases - much to the ... "I thought they were supposed to shred documents
before discarding ...
<http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/473188p-398034c.html>

Archive film collection at the heart of Midlands
ic Birmingham.co.uk - Birmingham,UK
... of 12 public sector national and regional moving image archives that
collectively ... staff – Mr Patterson, Richard Shenton, who is access
archivist and Phil ...
<http://icbirmingham.icnetwork.co.uk/birminghampost/business/tm_headline=
archive-film-collection-at-the-heart-of-midlands&method=full&objectid=181
26075&siteid=50002-name_page.html>

Now playing: The World as it Was
Chicago Sun-Times - United States
... are snapshots of "people and places that no longer exist," Field
archivist Armand Esai ... a U. of C. grad student who works as the
Field's
film archive researcher ...
<http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/142492,CST-NWS-movie20.article>

Daily Nebraskan, Sun, 19 Nov 2006 9:24 PM PST
UNMC, UNL homes to rare book collections
http://www.dailynebraskan.com/news/2006/11/20/News/Unmc-Unl.Homes.To.Rare
.Book.Collections-2469102.shtml
Some of the earliest drawings of the human fetus in the uterus – from
the German book "The Rose Garden," written in 1513 by Eucharius Rosslin
- are some of the most valued artifacts from the University of Nebraska
Medical Center's rare book collection.    Containing more than 4,250
volumes and valued at $3.

Council scans records to deliver new services
http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/LatestUpdatesFromComputingcouk/~3/51680834
/council-scans-records-services
James Brown,  Computing , Monday 20 November 2006 at 00:00:00
Warwick digitises 30 years of data to create comprehensive local
property record  Warwick District Council has computerised 30 years of
records to underpin its efforts to deliver e-government services to
citizens. The council has used a data capture system to scan and...   >

How Hard Is It To Shred Documents?
Gothamist - NY,USA
Of all the places of business that should be shredding documents, the
Administration for Children's Services, which deals with very sensitive
material about ...
<http://www.gothamist.com/archives/2006/11/20/how_hard_is_it.php>

Pa. county to provide certified electronic records
FCW.com - Falls Church,VA,USA
BY Michael Hardy. Citizens of Lancaster County, Pa., will soon be able
download certified copies of public records via a Web site. ...
<http://www.fcw.com/article96887-11-20-06-Web>

GPs revolt over patient files privacy
Guardian Unlimited - UK
About 50% of family doctors are threatening to defy government
instructions
to automatically put patient records on a new national database because
of
fears ...
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/frontpage/story/0,,1953213,00.html>

Brash accuses Peters of destroying evidence over emails
Radio New Zealand - Wellington,New Zealand
National Party leader, Don Brash, has accused Winston Peters of
destroying
evidence and showing a serious lack of respect for the legal process.
<http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/latest/200611210629/brash_accuses_peters_o
f_destroying_evidence_over_emails>

Iron Mountain CEO: company may scale new sales heights
Boston Business Journal - MA, USA
by Todd Wallack. Iron Mountain Inc. Chief Executive C. Richard Reese
said
he believes the document storage company could boost its ...
<http://boston.bizjournals.com/boston/stories/2006/11/20/daily8.html?jst=
b_ln_hl>

DIGITAL MEDICAL RECORDS ENTER MAINSTREAM
IEEE Spectrum - New York,NY,USA
Just last month, one of our frequent contributors was championing the
transition of medical records from paper to digital form. ...
<http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/nov06/comments/1651>

Full Speed Ahead: Searching Audio in EDD
Law.com (subscription) - San Francisco,CA,USA
... into the existing categorizations of documents or electronic ... to
just ignore sound recordings and audio files.". ... recording have made
business records, such as ...
<http://www.law.com/jsp/legaltechnology/pubArticleLT.jsp?id=1164029731480

Peter Kurilecz
Richmond, Va