Sender:
From:
"King, Douglas" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Jan 2007 15:16:08 -0600
I certainly cannot speak for the big, highly automated national job sites, but I think even Sedgwick County's online job app function -- www.hrepartners.com, also used by many other Kansas counties, cities and public employers -- gives some insights into the challenges of these systems.

When I post a vacancy -- even if it's up only briefly and narrowly targeted -- I get a high volume of unqualified applicants to wade through (HR sends me an intranet URL, where I can see all applications as they come in). For my PT student position, all apps must go through Wichita State Coop Ed, but the official application must be via the online function -- even when it's up just over a weekend, I still get applications from persons who met few to none of the requirements. When I posted my RM/Archives Analyst position, I had well over 100 applicants, of which only about a third met base requirements. The point is, these systems make it too easy to apply: too many applicants apply for too many openings, placing a heavy burden on the employer to screen, select and respond. Our SOP is for HR to NOT screen, but send all applications to the supervisor doing the hiring; that way, if any interpretation or exception needs to be made, it can be, without HR screening out someone who might do the job well. Back in the old days, when applicants had to complete a County application by hand for each opening applied for, one had to think a bit more than just clicking on "Apply" -- it took some effort and investment of time. In the old days, there was some self selection going on. Now, I think employers get, for want of a better term, "application spam."

In our case, I review and score all applications received, rate those who make the basic cut, and rank those who met requirements. I interview the top six or so. When the process closes, HR sends out an automated thanks-but-no-thanks" email to all who I did not interview, and I send out a snail mail letter to those I interviewed but did not hire. I know that my letters went out, but I don't know how promptly HR sends out emails. My son has applied for and not been hired by Sedgwick County, and it seems like he got an email long after he clicked "Apply."

In short, in this day of automated applications, I wouldn't except much more than an automated response, if that. If there is some sort of automated screening applied to the opening, then the employer may not even know who was screened out, let alone be able to acknowledge the application.

// Douglas K. King, Records Manager / Freedom of Information Officer
\\  www.sedgwickcounty.org   "Sedgwick County ... working for you"