Sender:
Date:
Wed, 24 Jan 2007 07:43:54 -0700
From:
Jesse Wilkins <[log in to unmask]>
The point here is that for a nominal $1,000 microfilm reader vs. a $1,000
computer, 100% of the reader's maintenance relates to reading microfilm.
Probably less than 10% of the computer's use and maintenance relates to
reading images, with the rest being used for indexing, reading email,
posting to the list, etc.

I make the comparison as others have previously on this topic: cost of
creation and cost of retrieval. For the cost of a working piece of
microfilm, i.e. one that gets used and therefore has a MUCH shorter lifespan
than 500 LE, I could create a digital image AND index it (with as much index
info as the microfilm has or more) AND burn it to CD AND migrate it a couple
of times to give it comparable lifespan to the working microfilm. Been a
while since I've created film, but I recall it taking 30-45 sec/image to do
properly.

Now, factor in the cost of retrieval for digital images vs. microform,
whether looking for 1 image or 1,000 images, and I think the overall cost
for digital (CD-ROM here) is substantially lower than microfilm, even taking
migration into account. Peter is correct to take into account some other
costs, but those costs are not specific to the imaging process; rather, they
are a tiny percentage at the margin for the imaging process and are to some
extent (defragging?) sunk costs that must happen regardless. And some of
those costs translate to the microfilm side as well: where is the index
stored for the film? If it's on a computer....

My tuppence between our 5th and 6th snow events of the last 6 weeks,

Jesse Wilkins
CDIA+, LIT, ICP, edp, ermm, ecms
IMERGE Consulting
(303) 574-1455 office
(303) 484-4142 fax
Looking for the latest education on electronic records, email, and imaging?
Visit http://www.imergeconsult.com/schedule2.html for a current schedule of
courses.